9/12/2007 - Wednesday evening

I was on my way home from a birthday dinner just a few days after returning to San Francisco after my cross-country road trip and, though I wasn't ready to start interviewing readers again, I couldn't resist when I saw a man walking down the street, eyes glued to the page of a book that just happened to exactly match his surroundings. It's been over a month since I've taken the photo--I've been busy posting to my dogeared reading post-- and I've since lost my notes, but here are the pictures.


Reading Saeculum: History and Society in the Theology of St. Augustine, by R. A. Markus. Here's a synopsis from the Barnes and Nobles website:

In this book Professor Markus's main concern is with those aspects of Augustine's thought which help to answer questions about the purpose of human society, and particularly with his reflections on history, society and the Church. He relates Augustine's ideas to their contemporary context and to older traditions, and shows which aspects of his thought he absorbed from his intellectual environment. Augustine appears from this study as a thinker who rejected the 'sacralization' of the established order of society, and the implications of this for a theology of history are explored in the last chapter.

His favorite book of all time--Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert.

0 Comments: