March 31, Monday evening -- Reading Dave Eggers and a book edited by David M. Powers

Beneath the cherry blossoms in Union Square

Reading What is the What, by Dave Eggers. She read his first book, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, and didn't think much of it, but then a friend recommended this one and she's loving it. It's about one of the lost boys of Sudan.

Her favorite book of all time--1984, by George Orwell. She'd read Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley and really enjoyed that so someone recommended 1984.... The rest is history. New favorite book. She also likes Margaret Atwood's books, especially Oryx and Crake and The Handmaid's Tale. She likes books that make us think about our lives now and what could happen in the future based on our current decisions. I think I'm misquoting here....she said this (or something else) much more eloquently.

****

Reading International Monetary Power, edited by David M. Powers. A favorite book--Global Capitalism: Its Rise and Fall in the Twentieth Century, by Jeffrey Friedan.

He's writing a dissertation on why countries choose the exchange rate policies they do and the politics behind it. There's a lot of interesting things going on, he said. For instance, the China/U.S. conflict. The U.S. is angry with China for keeping its currency weak so that Chinese goods are cheaper than those made by U.S. manufacturers.

I'd already taken a picture today, but had to stop and take another one because of the cherry blossoms and green grass. They're visiting from Chicago--it takes someone from out of town to take advantage of what we've got!

In what sorts of picturesque surroundings have you been reading?

12 Comments:

Mizack said...

I like the idea you have going with this whole blog. I will check it from time to time. You should check mine out to although it is random.

its called: blogathon

Jen said...

my picturesque surroundings have been buses. not very picturesque, yeah.

but i wanted to say i like the girl's explanation about 1984 & co. i like that kind of novels too but i never thought of it that way.

ao.roamer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ao.roamer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ao.roamer said...

I would like to read in an alfresco coffee shop,the envoirment always makes me feel amazing

Anonymous said...

great blog and great commitment to write new postings on such a regular basis.

Brenda said...

I wasn't going to read the Eggers book because I too wasn't thrilled with ...Heartbreaking Work of...but I'll give it a try.
I'll be reading on the Capitol steps this week. Any appropriate suggestions!

Naked Trewth said...

I think it's awesome that you show so much dedication to this blog. I have been lurking around for a few months, reading weekly. I have also used this as inspiration to create a 'Reading Wall' in our home. We have assorted sizes and colours of actual photographs hung in a collage in an area full of our bean bag chairs and bookshelves. Each photograph is almost voyeuristic (much like yours) in that they don't show faces...just people reading. We have just over 45 photos currently, but are always surfing for cool ones. Please don't stop this. My 12 year old is hooked.


As am I.

A. Stageman said...

The most picturesque places I read in are coffee shops.

I am actually sitting in a local coffee shop right now! It's a very cute little place.

Jenny Maloney said...

Currently, I am not reading anywhere more picturesque than my living room...however, if you are ever assigned George Eliot for a class (or if you just pick up *Middlemarch* for fun) read the book outside. Anywhere outside. The nature elements are so much more alive that way.

My best advice if you're stuck on homework.

Sonya Worthy said...

ao. roamer, what is an an alfresco coffee shop?

Brenda, I'm reading Team of Rivals about Abraham Lincoln right now...it's very political and fun and even gossipy. It's by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

Naked Trewth,I love the reading wall idea!!! ....aren't 12-year-olds the most prolific readers. I couldn't keep up with my little brother when he was 12. He'd recommend gigantic books to me and I'd just groan and think OH NO! Showed up by my little brother.

Jenny, I love reading in settings that make you feel the book. My sister and I, while living in Austin, TX in the summer once read one of Jack London's wintery books (ah! I've forgotten the title) in an air conditioned coffee shop and then, when we were finished, went out to wallow in the heat. It really made us feel it.

Thanks for commenting!
sonya

ao.roamer said...

"alfresco" means outdoor