March 9, Sunday Morning -- Reading The Psalms

In the heart of the Mission District, spending few sunny moments before walking the few blocks to his church, Cornerstone, on 17th near Guerrero Street.
Reading Psalm 119:133

Order my steps in thy word;
And let not any iniquity have dominion over me.

His favorite book: The book of John in the New Testament. He likes it for the joy of God's love for us. God chose us. We didn't have to choose him--he loved us first.

Other books he likes--Catch 22, by Joseph Heller; Song of Solomon, by Toni Morrison; The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald. He likes reading from the era of the 20's.

When he was young he liked the Narnia books, by C.S. Lewis and The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien.

I felt a common bond with him: We had both lost our cell phones--he, on a recent trip to India, and me, at the somewhat less exotic Ferry Building-- and, because we use them as clocks, neither of us had any idea what time it was. He turned on his car to check the dashboard display. He had five minutes.

While we walked together towards his church (I was on my way to my book group in Hayes Valley) he told me about why he was reading Psalm 119. For guidance. He is considering moving to India and taking a job working with a Real Estate developer. While the U.S. economy is growing just 1 -2 % per year, India's economy is growing 8 - 9 %, and this rate is rising, creating a need for more infrastructure and more housing. The increased development has created a 20% deficiency in the amount of power needed to what is created. This deficiency causes frequent and sometimes lengthy outages. The position, he said, would be challenging and one he needs to learn more about.


Are there books you've read--religious, inspirational, mental science, fiction--that you go to when faced with making a decision?

15 Comments:

A. Stageman said...

I turn to the Bible, as well. It keeps me sane and at peace.

Quintus Severus said...

Ha. When faced with making a decision, or really doing anything taxing whatsoever, I hide in a fantasy book. Terrible habit. Unbreakable though.

Anonymous said...

I turn to my Bible and I also love the two books by Joel Osteen...they inspire me to stretch beyond my comfort zone.

w said...

i too need that book.

Jonathan said...

Chalk up another vote for the Bible... I would like to read it daily rather than in crisis decision made but am undisciplined

Anonymous said...

The Alchemist

beautiful simple and changed the way I live my life.

Miss Rose said...

I also turn to the bible and prayer. If anyone wants to take a group journey check out a new blog
that starts in April any takers?

thewifeypoo said...

I too go to the Rock. Proverbs is one I hit the most.

danielle said...

What an enjoyable site. Brilliant idea too...whenever I see someone reading I'm so curious (and inordinately excited) I want to walk over and have a peek at the cover. Hard to do this covertly. Your site's a good substitute.

I'm not religious but the Bible is one of my favorite books. The Bible & William Shakespeare: there's nothing more to learn after you work through those :-)

Kathryn Bonner said...

Yep, the Bible, I love it! I can soak in it, meditate on it too. I love your blog. I love books written by Philip Yancey such as "What's so amazing about grace?" (really good!) Finding God in Unexpected Places, another good one... everything he writes is resonates within me. He's influenced me and my own writing.

TootsNYC said...

thank you for sharing--and him for saying--his comments about John.

What a joy to see WHAT someone believes be talked about, and not just THAT they believe. That's faith.

TootsNYC said...

thank you for sharing--and him for saying--his comments about John.

What a joy to see WHAT someone believes be talked about, and not just THAT they believe. That's faith.

8 said...

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig

Ejen223usm said...

yes reading bible is a good thing to do especially to read New Testament....Enjoy following Jesus.

i like this blog....

Anonymous said...

I go to the Psalms, as I find them full of comfort and it can calm the stresses of life.

Excellent blog and wonderful post.