April 22, Tuesday evening -- Reading Michael Chabon

On 24th Street in the Mission District in front of the BlueSixCenter

Reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, by Michael Chabon.

His favorite book--that depends on his mood. Today, it'd be The Grapes of Wrath, by Steinbeck. It's a book about people taking a chance for their future.

His own book? He described it for me, but I was distracted because I was late and I wasn't able to write it down. I can't do it justice so I'm not even going to try.

What do you like about The Grapes of Wrath?

3 Comments:

Oma said...

The final scene in The Grapes of Wrath where the young girl is breastfeeding the starving grandfather sums up all its themes for me ... the terrible poverty ... the losses suffered ... the genuine caring of the Joad family ...

Barb said...

I am admitting a terrible deed:I have never read the book. As an English teacher, I certainly should have! In my defense, I had no idea I wanted to be one till junior year in college. By then I think everyone just assumed it had been read.

Now, we have a wonderful reading comp. comparison that I used to give the students on perspective. In the section from the Grapes of Wrath, I understood that getting angry was going to save them.

So, yes, I admit it; the closest I've been to it is a reading comp.

(Can I redeem myself a bit by saying I just mentioned Of Mice and Men to my students comparing the end of it to Old Yeller's end? Any redemption there?)

Roxanne said...

I like how all the characters say "fambly".