April 5, Saturday afternoon -- Reading Paulo Coelho

Reading The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho, a book that so many people have told me was their favorite, but which I have never, after over 1,000 photos, seen being read. But, here it is.

Her roommate's girlfriend was reading it and she got it next.

Her favorite book of all time--Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. She read it a few years ago and really liked how the characters get to you.

Something good she's read recently--One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd, by Jim Fergus. There was another book, too, but I can't remember what it was.

When she was a child she remembers liking Witch Baby, by Francesca Lia Block and Watership Down, by Richard Adams.

If she were to write her own book? She grimaces (like most people grimace when I ask that question...but her grimace was better than most. A true look of agony.)

Have you ever see The Alchemist being read in public? My sister thinks that I never see it being read because maybe it's a book that people like to read at home. Or, is it because it's so short that the time spent reading makes the chances smaller? Or, is it because it's been out for ten years?

14 Comments:

ups said...

Just a small correction: is Paulo Coelho, not Paolo.

And since I'm already posting.. great blog :D

Sonya Worthy said...

Correction made. THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

I just took it out of The Library and am going to start to read it today. I thought I saw it on your blog or maybe it was one of your subjects favorites.

Laura Jane Williams said...

I have never, come to think of it, seen The Alchemist being read in my home country, but it is one of those bookes that you see EVERYBODY reading when they go travelling. There is a copy in every secondhand bookshop in South East Asia!

I've read it a million times, the first being when I had just turned 14 and my dad gave it me for Xmas telling me to 'follow my heart and heed the omens'. I think that is why I always come back to it.

G.I.M x

Sarah J Clark said...

I'd just like to say I'd like to walk in your shoes for a day. =)

Keep blogging chica!

Cainan & Ryker said...

I'm reading it now. It's good...definitely "fabel-y". I haven't ever seen anyone else reading it though, I've just heard the buzz and decided to get it.

Roxanne said...

Girl with the mask has a point ... it's the kind of book you read on a journey, at turning points in your life ... more likely to see it in a travel hostel than in the city maybe? (now there would be a good place to see what people read ... in a travel hostel!)

A. Stageman said...

I have never seen anyone reading "The Alchemist" nor have I read it (though it is on my list of books to read).
I have read Coelho's "The Devil and Miss Prym" - great book.

ERN said...

This book was highly recommended to me by a friend who was reading it inside.

Do you think people go outside to read just to get your attention?

Sonya Worthy said...

Sarah J Clark, Your shoes look pretty comfy, *too*.

Girl With The Mask and Honor, I think you've got a point. If I have some free hours I'll visit the hostels in San Francisco and see what's on the shelves. I've always wanted to stay in a hostel where I live and just pose as an out-of-towner, go out with people who are staying there and see what happens. ....maybe photographing the bookshelf would satisfy that craving?

Ern, I really think that most people just read where they're comfortable... though I have a writer friend who carries around a book of Shakespeare's sonnets in hopes that a woman who *also* likes Shakespeare will try and pick him up. That's what I accuse him of anyway. So far it hasn't worked...if he was even trying in the first place. Anyone like Shakespeare? I can set you up!

SCP said...

I read it years ago. Maybe around 10 years ago and didn't think much of it. I also tried to read "Eleven Minutes" but gave up after a couple of chapters...

Margaux said...

I have to be honest: I don't like his books. I don't consider him a true writer, he picks up a lot of themes that have already been there and mix it and serves it. Luckily for me, my teachers agree with me, so I don't get totally bashed! haha (kidding)

I tried to read Eleven Minutes and I sometimes read his chronicles in a portuguese magazine, and I still don't like it.

But I know lots of people who like him, so I guess he has to have some qualities :)

Laura Jane Williams said...

...I just like how he makes me think. I guess all my favourite writers do that in one way or another...

G.I.M

Anonymous said...

I read the whole thing in one sitting, maybe 3 hours, that probably has something to do with its limited public exposure.