April 9, Wednesday morning -- Reading Michael Chabon

A purchase from Green Apple Books
He'd read Michael Chabon's (2001) Pulitzer Prize winning The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay and thought he'd try this one. The Final Solution: A Story of Detection. It's about Sherlock Holmes as an octogenarian, solving a murder mystery that involves a little boy who is a refugee from Nazi Germany--the year is 1944--and a parrot that speaks in a sort of numbered code. (Correction in a comment by The Clandestine Samurai: It's only strongly suggested that the man is Holmes. I think, actually, the reader described him not as Holmes, but as a frail man. It's me getting in the way.)

Something good that he read recently--Tales of the City, by Armistead Maupin.

If he were to write his own book, it'd be about his life....with sarcasm.

Favorite book--the natural answer, he said, is Catch 22, by Joseph Heller, but today, it's Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman.

When he was a kid he liked The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis. From second grade onward he read them every year.

What's your favorite Sherlock Holmes story?

9 Comments:

Cathy said...

I like Scandal in Bohemia and The Adventure of the Speckled Band.

Love your blog

Anonymous said...

I started reading "Neverwhere" a long time ago, and after about 20-something pages, thought it was awful and unreadable. Neil Gaiman does have a large fan base, though.

Also, in The Final Solution, it is strongly suggested that the protagonist is Sherlock Holmes, but he never actually says this himself.

At any rate, I only read "A Study in Scarlet" and "The Sign of Four", but I definitely plan on reading more.

ao.roamer said...

"The Chronicles of Narnia"part II will soon be shown at the cinema, has anyone seen it before?

A. Stageman said...

Dang, his hair is BLUE. Cool.

"Scandal in Bohemia" is, most definitely, my favorite.

bereweber said...

i like "Scandal in Bohemia" very much too, and also the classic "The Hound of the Baskervilles".

for any Sir Arthur Conan Doyle fan, I highly recommend "Arthur & George" by Julian Barnes
http://www.julianbarnes.com/bib/arthur&george.html
anything by Julian Barnes for that matter

Sonya Worthy said...

I think I need to read Scandal in Bohemia. My favorite was Hound of the Baskervilles. My mom read it to us when we were kids and it made my brother so scared he jumped up out of her bed and ran out of the room. I think she was reading it in a scary voice.

Clandestine Samurai, Thanks for the correction.

Rachel said...

Ditto on the Julian Barnes recommendation. He is such an interesting writer.

Love, love, love this blog. What a documentary. I've added you to my blog roll at http://booktrout.blogspot.com. Hoping that upstate New Yorkers relish reading as much.

-Rachel

KHM said...

I just love your blog! And Michael Chabon! And I've never read any Sherlock Holmes...

Anonymous said...

The Hound of the Baskervilles