May 12, Monday evening -- Reading Marina Lewycka

Waiting for the train

Reading A Short History of Tractors in Ukraine, by Marina Lewycka. It was recommended by her mother, who works in a bookstore. Something else her mom's recommended recently--Shopalot(maybe I got this wrong--I can't find an author).

Her favorite book--The Master and Margarita, by Bulgakov. She's a history buff and she enjoys the time period, which is Soviet-era Russia.

When she was a child she liked fantasy books, such as The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis.

What books have you read for the time period in which they were set?

5 Comments:

webbie said...

I started out reading the Maisie Dobbs series by Jaqueline Winspear and have read River of Darkness and it's sequel by Rennie Airth because of the post WWI time frame.

Anonymous said...

Germinal by Zola.
This novel (like most of his work)paints a very realistic picture of life in a coal mining town in France in late 19th century.
I had to read it as a history assignement even though it's a novel and really enjoyed it.

Liza P. said...

I would say late 1800s to early 1900s (like 1920s.....30s...40s...). Just an interesting turning point, I feel.

pilgrimchick said...

I must confess that I haven't read anything from this time period in particular, although I do like literature that "represents" time periods like this one. However, I was never a big fan of Solviet Russia.

Barb said...

I found Maisie Dobbs this year and totally enjoyed the two novel book that I got. I have my students read a WWI book, Private Peaceful or Lord of the Nutcracker Men, and this is a nice addition for my better readers.

We also do Civil War era (Cold Mountain is one for I enjoyed but haven't had any of my students read it), the Depression era (Out of the Dust is terrific) and WWII (the Last Days of Summer is incredibly fun reading with so much in it).

My favorite, though, for me is the Victorian age. We all think of the haves, but the have nots who worked so hard are incredible people. A Nothern Light is a terrific book.