May 15, Thursday evening -- Reading Sarah Lacy

At the book release party at Otis in downtown San Francisco, for Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0, by Silicon Valley journalist, Sarah Lacy. Books were in short supply--apparently they got held up in a cyclone....but the author graciously took down names of people who wanted autographed copies so she could personally mail out books when they arrived.

Incoming:

Intelligent conversation over low din of cocktail conversation among the Web 2.0 set--kids like me who have it together and are on the forefront of establishing their own startups that focus on user-generated material.

Outgoing, after 2 glasses of champagne, 2 parties, a 1 am bedtime and a full day of work:

A smattering of memories that include, but probably were not limited to

Favorite books/what he recommends--The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho…something else, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, by Richard Bach…and, by the same author, Illusions.

He also likes baby books. I didn't think I heard him right when he said this-- "baby books," but that's what he said. He recommends

Swimmy, by Leo Lionni –simple, but great moral, about a school of fish that swims together in the shape of a giant fish to outwit a predator; and, Hope for the Flowers, by Trina Paulus. He described the book, play by play. It's about caterpillars and butterflies and following your own life path, deciding what's right for you individually.

Six Thinking Hats, by Dr. Edward de Bono--he likes to read about creativity. He listed a few titles but they are lost. Mrinal, can you help me out?

Mrinal is co-founder of Crossloop, a site that connects people who are having computer problems with people who can fix them. There's a fun video that shows how to use the site.

What's your experience with Web 2.0?

6 Comments:

Liza P. said...

Web 2.0 is a big part of what we do at work. We love to geek out on it!

Barb said...

Okay. I don't even know what Web.2 is. Am I showing my lack of knowledge????

Sonya Worthy said...

Hi Ms. B,
You are not alone! I added a Wikipedia link at the beginning of the post to explain what Web 2.0 is.

sonya

Anonymous said...

Sonya - it was great meeting you.

Here are a few more on creativity:
The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp
Lateral Thinking by Edward De Bono
Orbiting the Giant Hairball - Gordon McKenzie

Some more books on my personal blog: http://mrinal.vox.com

Barb said...

Okay, thanks, Sonya. I read it and as far as I can figure out, it is what we can do with what we already have,,,like this blogging and using the web to join and build,,,,yes?
If it is, I like it! How else would I have this wonderful blog to end my day with?

Darci said...

His website is very cool, I will be coming back to check it out. Also I among the people who had no idea what Web 2.0 is :)