August 15, Friday afternoon -- Reading Stephen King

At the Crocker Galleria

Reading The Dark Tower VII, by Stephen King. She's reading the whole series. Usually she doesn't read Stephen King, but she's a fan of Science Fiction and this is pretty good.

The last really good book she read was Middlesex, by
Jeffrey Eugenides.

Her favorite book of all time--One Hundred Years of Solitude, by
Gabriel García Márquez, which she read for the first time in her twenties in Spanish and has read twice again since then in English. She also loves books by Isabel Allende.

When she was a kid she read Science Fiction and comic books.

Her own book? It'd be about a female super hero, saving the world, from things like the oil crisis!

If you were to write a different version of something you read as a child, what would it be?

3 Comments:

ROBERTA said...

Half Magic by Edgar Eager which is celebrating it's 50th anniversary this year....

Roxanne said...

I always loved Anne of Green Gables and Laura Ingalls Wilder books growing up. But it made me sad, as when I tried to imagine myself in those situations - I never could - because I was filipino, and I had no idea what a filipino girl would be doing on the prairies / islands in the early days. I always wished there was a version of those kinds of books out there showing those days through the eyes of a young girl who was a minority :)

Barb said...

Luckily, Honour, there are many wonderful young adult books written now from the perspective of many people other than white America. I love being able to read them (I wish I could remember some names now-- they're in my classroom) and step into others' lives. Maybe we are finally doing justice for most rather than the few.

I just read a book, an adult book, called Small Island and it was written in England with the focus on prejudice. In it, the British Empire took the men of one of their islands, again, can't remember the name of the island,,, for the war effort but they were kept segregated from the whites. It went on into after the war.

For me, an American, who has our own awful history of prejudice, it was interesting to read of the topic from another country's perspective.

We are getting better.