August 18, Monday evening -- Reading Daniel Stashower

Waiting for the bus

Reading The Beautiful Cigar Girl: Mary Rogers, Edgar Allan Poe, and the Invention of Murder, by Daniel Stashower. She used to be a cigar girl, too, and said that it was fun--selling candy, cigars, etc. at bars, clubs, etc.

Her favorites--The Dune series by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson and The Deluxe Transitive Vampire, by Karen Elizabeth George, which she said is hilarious. It's about grammar. She has an appreciation for grammar rules. If you follow rules, she said, you can state your ideas more clearly. The book is lots of crazy decoupage.

When she was a kid, her favorite was Alice in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll. She can relate to Alice--what she goes through when she's at the Mad Hatter's party, when she shrinks, grows bigger.

What characters could you relate to in the books you read as a kid?

3 Comments:

Jess said...

Ramona Quimby. I was forever getting into trouble for my adventurous spirit.

Barb said...

Magic Elizabeth and Gone Away Lake both had kids that went looking to the past and found adventure. The Secret Garden too. I loved them all.
The first two were illustrated by the same couple also and I loved the drawings.

The turn of the century seemed so ideal when I was young. It was only when I was older and realized that life wasn't quite all that it seemed if you were of the servant class. The Secret Garden did show some of that, but I guess I was too young to see anything but the magic of the garden.

Anonymous said...

Brian Herbert? What happened to Frank!?!