August 31, Monday afternoon -- Reading Marcial Lafuente

At 24th and Mission Street in the Mission District
Reading El Idolo de Santa Fe. He reads a lot of Westerns written by Marcial Lafuente, which he buys in a shop on 23rd Street between Capp and Mission. In his bag he showed me that he had about ten of them. He gave me one, entitled Consecuencias Tragicas, with, on the cover, a picture of one cowboy tending to the wounds of another cowboy. I refused at first but accepted. I'm trying to learn Spanish better and the book is perfect. The first sentence: A medida que llegaban los vaqueros cerca de donde estaba el carro cocina, se dejaban caer en el suelo boca arriba.... This says something about cowboys hanging around the cooking car? I am visualizing men with string ties hanging around a Mission taco truck, but that doesn't jive with the cover. I think I'm going to need a dictionary.
Today is the three year anniversary of my blog. On August 11th, 2006 I photographed my then thirteen year-old brother (who, at that time was shorter than me) reading in the airport instead of saying goodbye to me at the end of a trip home to Montana. On August 31, 2006, though, I photographed my first non-family reader, on BART, on his way to yoga class in the Mission, reading Cadillac Desert: The American West and its Disappearing Water, by Marc Reisner.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on three years of this unique and fascinating blog. I've been following it regularly for a bit above half a year now, and love both the concept and the execution. You've assembled an impressive showcase of human diversity by way of reading matter, and also made me (living in Germany) curious to see San Francisco some day.

Anne said...

Yes,I too thank you for your blog. I'm a librarian and a reader and I just love every one of your posts!

Alex Worthy said...

I love every one of you too sonya!

colleen said...

3 years! What a coup. Congratulations, and I can't wait to see you soon.