January 4, Tuesday night -- Reading Steven Johnson

At The Homestead, a bar in the Mission District, where the ceiling is shiny-gold pressed tin squares and peanut shells litter the floor
Just moments after the guy sitting next to me, who had been reading technology blogs on his iPhone left, another guy (pictured) replaces him and pulls out his iPhone and starts reading, too. iPhone guy #1 conjectured that only .001% of people holding iPhones are reading books on them.

In my two person sample size, the odds are more like 50%.

iPhone guy #2:
Reading Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation, by Steven Johnson. He heard about it on Science Friday on NPR.

Favorite book -- Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut. "I bet you're sad he passed away," I said, remembering some R.I.P. graffiti I'd once seen in 2007 in a bathroom stall. "No, not really," he said. "He was just a crabby old man."

The last book he read on his iPhone was something by Aldous Huxley, but, though I had only one and a half hot toddies, I've forgotten the title.
What percentage of people read books on their phones? There must be a statistic out there somewhere.

0 Comments: