December 29, 2013, Sunday afternoon -- Reading Daniel Ellsberg and Henry Miller

It's been a while since I've posted my blog, but I just finished my Master's degree (!!!) (in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) and decided it was high time that I went on an urban hike to photograph people reading books. 

On a rare warm day near Crissy Field, on a bench dedicated to a writer, dancer, and poet, two strangers reading Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers, by Daniel Ellsberg and Tropic of Cancer, by Henry Miller.
Although they were strangers, they soon discovered they have something in common - she just finished her Master's degree ('tis the season...) in Library Science at San Jose State, and he, Brewster Kahle, is the founder of Internet Archive, which is a non-profit Internet library created so that the general public can have access to digital books. 

He extended an inviation to us to visit the Internet Archive.  The archive invites the general public to drop by on Friday afternoons to meet the staff and take a tour - 300 Funston Avenue.

When I asked him if he has a favorite book of all time, he showed me the cover of what he was reading (typical of an avid reader - the current book is always the best).  

One of her favorite books is Black Elk Speaks, the story of an Oglala Dakota medicine man, recorded by author John G. Neihardt.  She read it while she was living in the Black Hills, where the story takes place.  He asked if she'd read Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee, by Dee Brown, and she said that it was on her list. 
Happy Reading and Happy New Year!

1 Comment:

Paula said...

Congratulations on getting your degree. I am in love with your blog and so glad to see you back!