March 23, 2014, Sunday evening -- Reading Veronica Roth and David Mitchell

On a bed of lava next to the snorkel spot "Two-Step" on Hawai'i's big Island (where I was, serendipitously, for Spring Break!!!)
 
Reading Allegiant, by Veronica Roth and Number9Dream, by David Mitchell.

Somehow my thumb got in the photos, though I'd like to think of it as non-dangerous lava flow.
Note to the readers:  The David Mitchell book I was talking about was Ghostwritten.  It was so oddly (but delightfully) bizarre and had many stories fit together within it and one of the characters also had a memory issue.  Thanks for letting me photograph you on your vacation.

5 Comments:

monicastangledweb said...

I love your photos of people reading, and was wondering, do you ask permission or just take the photos in a way that they don't notice?

Sonya Worthy said...

Hi Monica,
I always ask permission first. Sometimes I think the photo would be more authentic if I just took the photo first, but I ask out of respect. After I get permission, I ask people to go back to reading as if I wasn't there....and then I interrupt them again with questions.

monicastangledweb said...

That is so cool. I only discovered you because the girl in that photo taken at the beach is my niece. Have your travels ever brought you to San Diego and if so, did you take any photos of readers down here? I work in public media where we run the One Book, One San Diego program. We love sharing anything that promotes literacy and a love of reading.

Sonya Worthy said...

One Book One City is a great program!! I was in San Diego in 2007 while on a road trip photographing readers in each of the lower-48 states (in 52 days...) I posted all my pictures on dogearedusa.blogspot.com . You can do a search for "San Diego" to see the San Diego readers - this is one of my favorites, though: http://dogearedusa.blogspot.com/search?q=Lydia+Adamson

monicastangledweb said...

Let us know if you ever come back this way and we'll be happy to post your photos/stories on our One Book page. In the meantime, we put a link to your blog on our Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/OneBookOneSanDiego/posts/838622416155044?ref=notif&notif_t=like

You do great work!