January 23, 2020, Thursday evening -- Reading Rex Stout

At a pizza place in the Mission District

He is reading Death of a Dude, by Rex Stout, which is part of the Nero Wolfe series, which he's addicted to. It's about a big, grouchy, housebound detective and the narrator, Archie Goodwin, who does the detective's leg work. He said that Archie Goodwin reminds him of Ishmael in Moby Dick.

When I asked him if he had a favorite author he said it's kind of like asking who's your favorite jazz musician. You can't just name one. He said he's usually reading 4 books at once. He has over 3,000 books and is going on a "book fast."

I told him I was reading The Overstory, by Richard Powers, which is about trees, and he told me that he really enjoyed it, could tell me what parts are fictional and what parts are true, then showed me his tattoo of a tree on his calf that he got after discovering that his son and daughter each had a tree tattoo and wanted one, too...to join the family tree (his pun, not mine).

0 Comments: