3/9/2007



Reading Dream Catcher, by Stephen King. "This is my movie," he said. "I read all the time. I always have to have a book on me."

When he was ten he got his first whoopin' when his mother found him under the covers with a flashlight reading Plato's The Republic. That's when he really started reading. From Plato, he went to Homer's Illiad and Odessey, Arabian Nights, then Perry Mason, Sherlock Holmes, and Nancy Drew, James Joyce, Milton--he found Paradise Lost truly fascinating.

He believes that a well written book will supersede anything because that's you're imagination at work and nothing can beat the imagination.

One of his favorite books is Power in the East. A friend gave it to him as a gift ten years ago and he said it has a great first sentence, about an evil demon who, when he walks, the earth "shrinks from the touch of his feet." He didn't remember the author and I couldn't find it on line, but if you've heard of it, let me know. It blends science fiction with magic and technology. He highly recommends it. His favorite series are The Lord of the Rings, by Tolkien and The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, by Stephen R. Donaldson.

0 Comments: