April 17, Thursday evening -- Reading Joel Osteen

At a travel/shipping agency in the Mission District...if you're going to work past five, there should be something in it for you.

Reading Su Mejor Vida Ahora, or, in English (I think) Your Best Life Now, by Joel Osteen, one of the biggest tele-evangelists, seen in over 100 nations around the world. He's from Texas and was featured as one of Barbara Walter's most fascinating people of 2006. All of this from Wikipedia.

The entire interview, including my explanation of what my blog was about, was in Spanish. The hardest part--explaining what the blog was about and securing permission to take his photo.

Favorite books? He forgets the titles after he reads them, but he likes the type of book he is currently reading.

One of his favorite books when he was a child was Don Quijote de la Mancha, by Miguel De Cervantes, which he read when he was twelve.

Do you ever read (for pleasure) at work?

6 Comments:

Jen said...

oh yes... i had a pretty boring job a couple of year ago and i read a lot on the computer (made me look busy). i think i only read a dead tree book at work - stephen kind's 'the stand', i just couldn't put it down and, since i didn't have anything better to do...

Anonymous said...

I ALWAYS take a book to work but seldom read it there. I think that really, it's more of a security blanket. I compulsively reach for something to read as I race out the door in the morning. Lately it's been magazines which I do seem to be able to read at work. The New Yorker and The Bark are among my favorites. The NY'r had a short story by TC Boyle that was a kick this week. It was called The Lie. Very entertaining.

Bill said...

Sometimes early in the day, if I'm not catching up on school thingees, I sometimes write, sometimes read. I'm mainly a poetry person, sometimes non-fiction. I have a poetry journal called "Court Green" and a book titled "Spiritual Growth", which I'm currently carrying around.

Anonymous said...

When I used to work over the summer, I would mostly file papers and when they didn't have anything for me to file, I would read. I did all my summer reading for school at work.

ao.roamer said...

I can't read at work,however,I always read on the bus while going back to my office.Although it only has around 20 mintues, I enjoy reading so much at the monment.

KyleeJ said...

I have. I worked in a Photo Lab a few years ago and we had some REALLY slow days.