April 18, Friday evening -- Reading Khaled Hosseini

Reading The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini. Her college roommate recommended it and then a bunch of other people recommended it, too and, even though they said it was sad, and she hates sad books, she had to read it. Sad books are usually good, she said.

Other good books she's read recently--The Five People You Meet in Heaven, by Mitch Albom; and books by David Sedaris.

If she were to write her own book, it would be about online dating or about starting her organic chocolate business, which she is in the beginning of doing. She documents everything, about where she gets her ingredients, how she makes the candy, what works, etc.

When she was a child, her favorite author was Roald Dahl. In this article about writing habits, that my housemate sent me when I was sick, it says that Roald Dahl writes with one of his own hip bones on the table (I'm assuming outside of his body.)

Did you read The Kite Runner?

15 Comments:

Margaux said...

No, but now I'm curious. I've read five people you meet in heaven, though. It's a good book.

Marit said...

Read it, loved it, saw the movie, the book was better! Read his second book, A Thousand Splendid Suns, as well but liked the Kite Runner better.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the link to the Writuals. That's what I'll be reading tonight. As usual, your post is wonderful. Carry on!

Wendy Hill said...

Yes, I loved the Kite Runner (I too, put off reading it, until many people continued to recommend it to me - they were right). I agree with Marit. I read his second book, too, but enjoyed Kite Runner more. I think there was more a story of redemption in the first book.

pilgrimchick said...

Although regularly suggested, I have not read The Kite Runner. Nice to see someone diving into it here.

ao.roamer said...

"Kite runner"has been a heat movie
recently, I have seen at the cinema,but I don't know whether it is exactly the same as the book or not.

A. Stageman said...

Ah! I haven't read it YET. But it is on my list...

Anonymous said...

No. I like sad books sometimes...sometimes you just need to have a good cry.

Lauren said...

I love your blog and the whole concept of focusing on literature! I have tagged you for a meme, here's the link http://luluabroad.blogspot.com/2008/04/meme-tag-like-flashlight-tag-but-better.html
-Lulu

CaShThoMa said...

Wow!
I just found your blog; love the posts, love the concept.

I've read The Kite Runner and find that I've also read many of the books you've observed others reading in SF!

What a cool idea; I'm really impressed.

Shail said...

Microsoft Excel Training We Provide Professional Training For Microsoft Excel With Video Example

Katherine said...

I've never read the Kite Runner, depite all the good things I've heard about it. I think at some point, when my reading load lightens, I'll pick it up.

Barb said...

I read it after being told by two friends that there was torture in it and that it was so sad.
I was more worried about the comments than the book. There was an incredibly sad part and that character came back, but right won out in the end and as for sad, well, when we can make right, isn't that what life is all about? We're all going to make mistakes, even big, big ones. Learning to live and go on and then do right; that's what life is at its best.

I read the second one too. It was also very good.

My best readers in middle school read have read them. (That wouldn't be too many, but they will some day, I hope.)

Ps. Nice to have you back! Hope the flu is only a fading memory.

Noor said...

I've read it too, it was really brilliant. ;) I totally loved it. I can't wait to read his 2nd book.

:)

YS said...

Yes I read it. :)