May 29, Thursday evening -- Reading Shannon Holmes

Reading Bad Girlz 4 Life, by Shannon Holmes. When she's not reading books related to broadcasting, which she's going to school for, she likes the Urban genre. A favorite--Black Widow, by Nikki Turner.

When she was a child she didn't read, until she took classes at the Sylvan learning center. She doesn't remember what it was exactly that got her into reading but the instructors there said, hey, don't worry about reading "literature," just read what you like. Was it Harry Potter? No. She couldn't relate to the magic in the books, she wanted something more real.

What books got you into reading?

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Mine is not that interesting: The Brothers Grimm. I twisted my ankle one summer in 2nd grade and I had to stay in bed for a week (without a TV), so my mum bought me this large books of fairy tales. And from then on I was hooked.

KyleeJ said...

The books that really got me into reading for pleasure were David Eddings' Belgariad series. That was over 15 years ago.

Noor said...

I think the books that got me reading are Jane Austin's books. I can't really remember any books besides her books and basically classic novels got me hooked to reading. :)

TootsNYC said...

the My Book House set

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_Beaupre_Miller

and the back of the cereal box

Tbyrd said...

I was really into Christopher Pike, Lois Duncan, and Gloria Naylor. I read young adult fiction as a child so my memories of children's books are fuzzy, but I did love Curious George and one of the earliest books I enjoyed was James and the Giant Peach.