August 31, Sunday afternoon -- Reading Michel de Montaigne

Around the corner from Dogeared Books in the Mission District

Selling screen prints (his own art work) and reading Selections from the Essays Montaigne, by Michel de Montaigne, edited and translated by Donald M. Frame. The essays were written in the 1500s and are, he said, still relevant today. They're about how to behave. Like what? He handed me the book. The page I turned to was about an elderly man responding gracefully when an artist painted his portrait showing him how he was--old and balding--and not in a way that he might like better to be seen by the world.

When he was a child he read Mysteries and Science Fiction. Recently he's been reading poetry by Charles Bukowski.

His own book would be about life. The best, he said, is still to come.

What are you reading over the Labor Day weekend?

6 Comments:

Navid said...

Montaigne invented the modern essay...

His essay, 'apology for Raymond Sebond' is one of my favorite things I've ever read. In it, he glosses over the relationship between animals and humans- and provides a very fascinating skeptical response to Renaissance humanism.

What am I reading over labor day?
Midnight's Children by Rushdie

J.G. said...

I just started reading The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck.

Anonymous said...

Sloppy Firsts by: Megan McCafferty

Liza P. said...

I was in SF this Labour Day weekend and when I had a few moments to read I would continue with Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth. Need to finish it for book club in 2 weeks.

Anonymous said...

I'm rereading... for the 3rd time... eat pray love. and i'll be bringing the book with me for my first trip to san fran this weekend!!!! i'm going to see Michael Franti at the power to the peaceful festival held annually. If you don't know who Franti is, check him out :)

Anonymous said...

I think maybe I'd like to read -that- book. How much were the pictures he was selling?