October 25, Saturday afternoon -- Reading Herman Melville

At the Really Really Free Market in Dolores Park.
Reading the beginnings of a big stack of books that she just got - for free. The concept of the market is easy: get free stuff, even if you don't bring stuff (I got a sun hat and the reader gave me sunscreen. I had left the house unprepared and it felt so good to be taken care of....that's what the market's all about.)

If she were to write her own book it'd be about a bar her parents hang out at in Swanzey, Massachusetts. It's in an old house and has no sign. The bar has great stories, like the time one of the regulars didn't show up. People got concerned and sent flowers to his mother, assuming he was dead. He wasn't. His mom got mad at him for being an alcoholic. "I miss one day guys and....!" Have you had time to read this weekend?

Her Favorites -- they're plays: Long Day's Journey into Night, by Eugene O'Neill and The Glass Menagerie, by Tennessee Williams. It's kind of hard reading a play, she admits, but said that you just have to visualize it, as if you were reading a screen play.

Recently she read Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley and has also been reading feminine literary criticism for school.

The stack of books, from bottom to top: Crime and Punishment, by Fydor Dostoyevsky; The Complete Idiots Guide to the Bible; On Aggression, by Konrad Lorenz; A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, by Katie L. Turabian; Writing Themes About Literature, by Edgar Roberts; Moby Dick, by Herman Melville; and Miracle Cure, Organic Germanium, by Dr. Asai.

6 Comments:

ROBERTA said...

that's an impressive list of titles...and i like the idea of a really really free market. what happens to the stuff that no one wants?

Sonya Worthy said...

Hi Roberta,
I'm not sure, but I think that people just take it home or give it to a thrift store. Or....they eat it! I saw a couple plates of cookies for free and a teapot full of tea with glasses, too!

Adele said...

that bottom photo is just such a gorgeous relaxing scene.

Unknown said...

i was up until 2 last night reading twilight. i really wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as i do.

Barb said...

I'm reading Inkheart and I'm liking it because it's going to be fantasy but it's about books. I didn't get to read as much as I wanted but still, any reading is great.

Suzanne said...

I finished two books I had started earlier in the week -- The Holocaust by Bullets by Father Patrick Desbois, and Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger. Both good books, but for completely different reasons.