November 23, Sunday afternoon -- Reading Tom Robbins

On the BART platform
Reading Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates, by Tom Robbins. He bought the book six years ago for the opening lines: Lima, Peru, October 1997 -- the naked parrot looked like a human fetus spliced onto a kosher chicken. It was so old...

Before Tom Robbins he was reading Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy...or there was something else between that didn't make an impression.

Favorite book -- Microserfs, by Douglas Coupland, which he's read about six times. It's about a group that breaks off from Apple and starts their own company, and one of theirs unemployed father builds a Lego city in their new office, and they help one of theirs mom, who's had a stroke, learn to communicate again. The author also wrote Generation X, popularizing the term.

Have you read any good books about the tech world?

2 Comments:

Malyss said...

Hi, I'm writing to you from France.Since many weeks I follow you blog. I'm a big reader myself, and I find your idea really great.I put your blog on my favorites on my own blog and come to see yours each time I can.Since I read your blog, I look at the people in my own city, and must admit I could not make a blog with the readers I meet, because they are very few in the streets! I don't know if people read at home around here...I just wanted to let you know that I really like your blog, I like to discover what Americans (or californians) read (very few french writers ^-^). You had a beautyful idea! Thank you for sharing.

Meryl said...

Doug Coupland is one of my writer-heroes. I always assumed that in Microserfs they broke off from Microsoft. Who knows?