December 9, Tuesday evening -- Reading José Saramago

Taking a break from workReading Blindness, by José Saramago. A friend had recommended it as a really great book. He's only just begun, but agrees!

His favorite authors -- Jane Austen and Michael Chabon. It was Michael Chabon who got him reading again and Jane Austen, he admires. He admires that she lived at home with her parents and he admires the women in her stories who fight against marriage.

Before this he was rereading Michael Crichton books--the author passed away from cancer at age 66 last month. He really liked Chrichton's earlier books, but put down State of Fear about 2/3 of the way through--he disagreed with the premise that our fear of global warming is bogus.

What authors do you admire--their lives, not just their books?

7 Comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This is a very cool blog you have; I just finished reading Blindness for the 2nd time; pretty amazing book.

zztopdog said...

I have written before about how cool your blog is. Every time I check it out, I find another gem. Blindness is my favorite book; once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down.
Thanks for the fun I have every time I come here.
Pam

Vasilly said...

Blindness is one of my favorite books. I admire Anne Lamott for being very open with her past as an alcoholic and Dave Eggers for starting 826 which helps kids.

Tif Sweeney said...

Blindness is one of my all-time favorite books, so I am excited to see it here!!! As for authors, I have always loved Stephen King simply because of his honesty about his struggles, his willing to put his life out there in print, and even to tackle some of the crazy ideas that you find in his stories. He is so much more than horror!

Nina said...

I love SF and books (am retired librarian). I'll have to put Blindness on my list. I love Anne Tyler. She was married to a psychiatrist, who died a couple of years ago. Has lived a normal life as far as I know, which isn't very far!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! Keep it up! I have so many authors I love, but the one I most admire is probaly Maya Angelou. She has had a hard life and has come out the other end by being an inspiration to all women - no matter their color. And her wonderful poem "Phenomenal Woman" should be required reading for all teenage girls! What am I reading right now? "A Mercy" by Toni Morrison. (Another author I admiree)

Malyss said...

I love Jean-Marie G. Le Clezio. He just got the Nobel Prize, and was born in my town. His books are about travels, people all around the world, and his life is made of travels and friendships all over the world.