October 8, Friday evening -- Reading Frances Lefkowitz

At the Hotel Monaco, during intermission for a Women's Memoir Litquake event
Reading To Have Not, by Frances Lefkowitz, one of the readers of the evening. She's intrigued with the book because she and the author have similar backgrounds. "I had a crazy childhood and got a good scholarship to an Ivy League school, too."

Another author she likes -- Pam Houston, who read at USF a couple days ago. Pam Houston is an outdoors woman and author of Cowboys are my Weakness.

Frances Lefkowitz read right after the intermission and I could only listen to 5 minutes of her story because I had to run down the street and meet friends to watch Scapin' at A.C.T. I was sorry I had to go. The excerpt from which she read was about winning a costume contest when she was a kid in the Mission District (the neighborhood where I live) and she won a gift certificate to Cliff's Variety Store (a fantastic hardware/everything store in the Castro that still exists) and, in that store, with the gift certificate, she felt like Laura Ingalls Wilder in Little House on the Prairie when they go to town and visit the General Store.

0 Comments: