January 2, Wednesday morning -- Reading Louis de Bernières

One of my neighbors, in the moments before a tall dark and handsome man delivered her a fresh glass of iced coffee
Reading -- with about 50 pages to go -- The Troublesome Offspring Of Cardinal Guzman, by Louis de Bernières, a book that was given to her by her ex-boyfriend for Christmas, right after they broke up. It was his favorite book. It's magical realism set in South America and is a parody of Pinochet's government.

Her favorite book is Everything is Illuminated, by Jonathan Safran Foer -- because of the incredible vortex of despair that the book culminates in.

I asked her if The Troublesome Offspring Of Cardinal Guzman had a vortex of despair. Her answer was no....however, if you're about to drink an iced coffee barefoot and in the sun while the rest of the country is digging themselves out of the snow, I would say feelings of despair may be tempered.

When was the last time you got to read outside in the sun?

6 Comments:

Rebecca Chapman said...

Sounds like an amazing book - I love Louis de Bernieres but this is one that I haven't read and will definitely look out for

Special K said...

Ugh! You're KILLING ME! Barefoot in the sun?????

knee-deep in my socks (and boots),
Chilly in Chicago

Sonya Worthy said...

...you can think of us in a few months when it's warm and sunny in Chicago and it's cold and foggy here : ). Are you reading anything good while you're snowed in?

Alex Worthy said...

I finished a book in the car in a parking lot yesterday. does that count as outside?

David said...

I think u r just boring and have nothing to do, just like me.

Libraia Virtuale said...

Wow! I've just discovered your blog... amazing!
Anyhow, I hope you'll excuse me for my terrible grammar... I'm Italian, and I haven't been practicing English since very long :(

About reading outside in the sun... I did it yesterday. It was the first warm sunny day since ages and I was waiting for my son to finish his nap. I was reading Patti Smith's "Just kids".. really nice!

Silvia