June 1, 2014, Sunday morning -- Reading Mark Lawson

On the banks of the Thames, in South Bank (in London, where I'm visiting on vacation)
So, this is the third reader I've photographed so far in London and none of them have been English:  the first, Peruvian; the second; Spanish; and now, an Australian.  Not that this is a problem.  A reader is a reader, however, I commented on this coincidence and he said to me that at any given time there are 150,000 Australians living in London and that to live there is almost a rite of passage, seeing as how Australia is so far away from the rest of the world.  He comes here once a year for 3 weeks.

Right now, he is just finishing up The Deaths, a crime novel by Mark Lawson.  "I'll give it to you when I'm finished," he offered and went on to explain that he reads so many books, and already has two houses full of them, that he tries to give them away when he's finished.  That is, unless, he explained, with a twinkle in his eye, that it's a keeper.  I declined his offer because my suitcase is already heavy enough (I've got my books checked out from the library on Overdrive). 
Some of his favorite authors include Ford Madox Ford, Anthony Powell, John Dos Passos, and Graham Greene. 

0 Comments: