May 24, 2015, Sunday evening -- Reading Anthony Bourdain

At the Latin America Club, a bar in the Mission District
He is reading Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly, by Anthony Bourdain. It was cold and foggy outside, so he decided to read at the bar instead of joining the Carnaval street party down on Harrison. The book was recommended by several friends over the years and he's finally getting around to it.

He mostly reads non-fiction. One of his favorites is Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything, by Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt. One of his favorite fiction books is Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson, which he read when he was fifteen.
One of the bartenders asked me if I had read My Struggle, by the Norwegian author, Karl Ove Knausgård.  I said I hadn't, and that I hadn't heard of him, but have since looked it up online, and then realized that I had heard of him, and even written about him on my blog.  Knausgård, who has written a whopping six-volume autobiography, is one of the favorite authors of this reader, who I found reading on a bench on Bernal Hill overlooking the city back in October. 

0 Comments: