May 5, Monday evening -- Reading Ted Bell

Waiting for the train

Reading Hawke, by Ted Bell. It's a modern-day pirate novel. He's been traveling a lot and figured it'd be a good, easy read.

His favorite book of all time--It, by Stephen King. His fifth grade teacher said they could read anything they wanted and he chose that. Since then, he's read it another two times. It's the book that got him into reading. He liked it because it was packed full of stuff.

If he were to write a book it'd be about his life--good times, having fun, his family.

What are your favorite pirate stories--specifically, what parts of them make your blood run cold...or, conversely, wish you were a pirate yourself? (Here's an truly ridiculous pirate Youtube video my brother showed me last year that made me want to drop everything and be a pirate.)

6 Comments:

Jen said...

Scott Lynch's "Red Seas Under Red Skies" is an awesome pirate story (and fantasy novel). It's funny, it has great characters, it has a lot of adventure... and this dude can *write*! I loved it. It's book 2 in a series, but you can probably read it stand-alone with no problems (the first one is called "The Lies of Locke Lamora", but it's pirate-less).

TootsNYC said...

OK, since you mentioned YouTube:

The Arrogant Worms, "The Last Saskatchewan Pirate."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHAl1tWvvPA

It makes me want to be a pirate.


My son, when he was 3, 4, 5, wanted to play "pirate," but he was really upset when he found out pirates were bad guys. H wanted so much to be a good guy.

He was thrilled when his dad told him about privateers.

So he'd build a forecastle on the sofa, and say, "Mommy, come play privateer!"

Barb said...

I'm not a pirate fan, but once tootsnyc mentioned Canada, I thought of The Boat that Wouldn't Float.

There was a scene in that book, about a man building his own book and taking it out to sea, well, trying to, that made me laugh outloud, and I still do when I catch myself reading that scene again. (and, I bet the teachers were impressed when that little boy came to school with privateer in his vocab!!)

Anonymous said...

I remember reading Treasure Island the very day we got out of school for Spring Break when I was in 4th grade.

Clare said...

Treasure Island for me! I've read it several times, and I'm always totally gripped by it. It's that bit when Jim is hiding in the apple barrel and hears... well the twist.

I have the new Everyman edition, which is illustrated by Mervyn Peake -- very atmospheric.

Anonymous said...

The storylines involving Captain Kennit in Robin Hobb's Liveship Trader trilogy are delightfully piraty.