June 9, Monday evening -- Reading Jon Krakauer

At the bus stopReading Into the Wild, by Jon Krakauer. While we were talking the 37 bus, which she was waiting for, roared right by without stopping and she had to abort the wait and just walk. The other woman at the stop wasn't so able--she had three bags of groceries.

Her favorite author--Barbara Pym, who writes about small village life in England. The writing is humorous, she said, but she's not for everyone. Not much happens.

Her favorite book of all time--The Once and Future King, by T.H. White, which is the King Arthur story from Merlin's point of view.

As a child she loved Nancy Drew.

On the subject of buses, though not in getting on but, rather, in getting off--can you name a book that's made you miss your stop?

3 Comments:

J.G. said...

I have never missed a bus because of it, but I do find anything written by Ray Bradbury to be completely absorbing; that is, I shut out everything else that is happening around me and find myself entirely involved in the story right from the start of the book.

TootsNYC said...

I miss my subway stop because of the newspaper sometimes. I don't think I've missed it bcs of a book.

And look--two library books in a row!

(I assume that's what that UPC strip across the front of the book is--a library tracking device?)

Grand Life said...

Almost missed my plane reading the New York Times in Denver once.
Love your blog. I read every post-
not every day- sometimes I save them up and read 4 or 5 at a time with cookies and a drink. You put alot of time into this "hobby". Thanks for all you do and for sharing with us.
Judy