July 26, Saturday afternoon -- Reading Walter Benjamin

Outside of Valencia Whole Foods

Reading On Hashish, by Walter Benjamin. The book, which he said was dull, describes intellectual transcriptions of the author while he is under the influence of certain drugs. He prefers William Borroughs for more entertaining reading.

He likes reading Kafka and ... He enjoys writing also, though his writing is not for other people. It's for himself.

His favorite book of all time--

maybe this will come to me later, but right now I'm drawing a blank. It's been about 24 hours since we talked, sans notebook and pen, and a lot has happened since then! (nothing mood altering)

Have you read anything by Kafka?

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite book is the The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Kundera. I also love reading many social theorists like Foucault and Baudrillard.
-great blog

Sonya Worthy said...

Thanks for responding. It all comes back to me now!

Derek Elwell said...

I've got 'The Trial' my Kafka in my collection, it's next on my list after I finish reading 'The Singularity Is Near' by Ray Kurzweil. I'm only on the second chapter and it's rather long.
Interesting though.

Navid said...

Yes to Kafka, but he's already in our canon. Benjamin is not (or not yet).

Benjamin's "work of art in the age of mechanical reproduction" is one of the best things I've ever read.