July 8, Tuesday afternoon -- Reading Carly Fiorina

In the shade of the Transamerica pyramid



Reading Tough Choices, by Carly Fiorina. She is planning on returning to business school and sees Fiorina, who was the CEO of HP from 1999 to 2005, as a strong female role model.

Her favorite books—the Anne of Green Gables series, by Lucy Maude Montgomery. She read them for the first time when she was eleven, and when she was finished, she missed Anne! So, she returns every couple of years to revisit. She identifies with Anne’s two sides, the strong and the vulnerable orphan, which everyone, even if they aren’t an orphan, has inside them self.

Her own book—it would be a travel journal of places she’s been, including Asia and South America.

What books from your childhood do you reread?

9 Comments:

Marit said...

Anne is my absolute favorite as well. I do exactly the same as your reader does, return to them time and time again!

Those and the Little House series, and the Chronicles of Narnia. I love the thrill of reading them all over again and attempt to do so without the cynicism of adulthood ;-)

Joe Cottonwood said...

Hi Sonya. I got a copy of Grandpa's Fiddle after you mentioned it, and I love it! Thanks for the discovery. Now I'm talking it up in my blog, trying to get other people to read it. And it would be a great book for children - there, now I've tied it into this topic. Keep up the good work, Sonya. You're improving our lives.

Sonya Worthy said...

Thanks, Joe!

That's so great that you got a copy of Grandpa's Fiddle. I'll pass on your praise to the man who gave me my copy!

Anne said...

My three childhood favs - Many Waters, The Westing Game, and The Giver. I've read the Giver to my 5/6th grade classes the past 4 years and they always love it too.

Sarah J Clark said...

The Diary of Anne Frank.

Little House in the Big Woods.

Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret.

Anonymous said...

I don't reread them any more, but for a long time I used to reread

101 Dalmations and
The Wizard of Oz.

They were my mother's originally.

moxie said...

Yay, I love Anne of Green Gables! Also loved Where the Wild Things Are, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Laura Ingalls Wilder books, Chronicles of Narnia, Treasure Island...I see I'm not the only one!

Love this blog btw.

Anonymous said...

Jules Verne - 20000 leagues under the sea is my classic from childhood that I get from the shelf sometimes, even now...

Anonymous said...

I re-read Watership Down - what an excellent book. Apparently I read it when I was 8 and I ran to my mother weeping when certain rabbit characters died. And I almost cried again when I re-read it...