August 2, 2008 -- Reading Rivet

On the steps between Lost Weekend Video and Ritual Coffee Roasters (in the Mission District)


Reading, after a day of baking bread at Tartine bakery, Rivet, the space issue. (Here's a link to a post of someone reading at Tartine).

I usually don't put magazines on my blog, but I feel like this one was purchased as a book, at Dogeared, halfway between Tartine and where he was sitting. He reads a lot. (thank you for keeping local bookstores in business)

Like the cover says, it's all about "space" (click on picture to zoom in to read text...it might be large enough to read this way).

His favorite book of all time, which he read four months ago--On the Road, by Jack Kerouac. He said that there's that feeling of, that, all you need for traveling is yourself. He also said that he has heard that this feeling is a very male point of view. (I may have lead him into this line of thought...my sister just came back from a Muslim country....and I've had it on my mind that traveling, anywhere, not just Muslim countries, as a woman is different than traveling as a man.)

Recently he read Naked Lunch, by William Borroughs.

For bread baking, he recommends a book by Joe Ortiz, who has a bakery in Santa Cruz.

When he was a kid he liked The Boxcar Children, by Gertrude Chandler Warren and Goosebumps, by R.L. Stine.

When he asked what I was reading and I told him The Old Man and the Sea, by Earnest Hemingway, he said that it was one of his favorite books, too.

What magazines do you like and how do they fit in with the books you read?

5 Comments:

Gurunath said...

Hi Dear....
Myself gurunath from India...Waiting for ur Comment

Stephen Elliott said...

Have I mentioned before that this is like my favorite blog.

Nulaanne said...

I read Curve and then I also get The Cross Stitcher. Curve I read in one sitting in one day. The Cross Stitcher is a UK mag and it is mostly patterns for counted cross stitiching.

Anonymous said...

it's Kerouac actually.

Sonya Worthy said...

Anonymous,
Thanks, changed it.