September 27, Saturday morning -- Reading Barbara Kingsolver

Reading Prodigal Summer, by Barbara Kingsolver. The book was given to her by a friend and she was finally ready to pull it off the shelf. It's interwoven with the stories of people's lives and she wants to think about how her own life is interwoven with her own friends.
And, she's excited to read something with good punctuation. She's a third-grade teacher.

The students, she said, like Harry Potter and other books that have to do with magic.

Her favorite books--they usually come from the bestseller lists. She liked Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake, and The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini.

What books are you meaning to get around to, that have been resting on the shelf?

4 Comments:

Liza P. said...

Infinite Jest is definitely a book I have been putting off. And I definitely have many more. Just waiting for the right mood...and to finish the current books I'm reading.

Jess said...

Middlemarch. It's so large but I know I should read it.

Barb said...

I have an Anita Shreve book and just yesterday a Larry McMurtry book that said it was laugh outloud funny. I have to finish the book I'm reading about turning 60 (I'm a youngster, though, only 52; it's my sister who turned 60!) and then I will have the wonderful dilemma of picking which to read.

Anonymous said...

I am a librarian and have an honors degree in English and attended graduate school for several years, but I have never read The Grapes of Wrath (yes, I was supposed to). My supervisor is appalled.