November 22, Saturday morning -- Reading Thomas L. Friedman

In the Mission District
Reading From Beirut to Jerusalem, by Thomas L. Friedman. Why? It's been on her shelf for a while! It's a good backgorund book, she said. Recently read--The Emperor's Children, by Claire Messud. Favorite book -- Their Eyes were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston.

When she was young she liked Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery.

Her own book -- no idea! (most people say this.)

Were you reading anything good on Saturday morning?

2 Comments:

lividlili said...

I love the photo in this post! Usually, people look so shy or sheepish, but she looks happy to share her book.

Sonya Worthy said...

Bog logger, I love this photo, too. When I photograph readers I take several shots. The first one I took of this reader was very subdued, but then a friend of hers walked around the corner and we were laughing about the unconventionality of my blog. The readers I photograph generally go through a whole range of emotions from the time I see them, to when I take the photo, to when we talk about their taste in books. I often want to take additional photos after having a conversation with someone, because I can tell that the photo doesn't really capture the reader at all. However, what I'd really like to do--as the purpose of this blog is to document the act of reading--is to photograph people BEFORE I interrupt them, but I'm shy about this. I ask first, feeling like it's more respectful. If the reader says yes, I ask them to go back to reading while I dig through my bag and find my camera, with the hope of creating that authentic moment again. I'm torn between wanting to capture three things: the individuality of a reader, the act of reading and the authentic (pre-interupted)act of reading.

Ultimately, though, when I'm choosing between photos to post, I just put up the one that looks the best!


sonya